Sri lanka news
- Why are people fleeing Sri Lanka for Colombo?
- Why did Sri Lankas Parliament Speaker ask the president and pm to resign?
- Will Sri Lankas Ranil Wickremesinghe resign?
- What happened to Sri Lankas economy?
- What does the MEA say about Sri Lanka and India?
- Why did the Sri Lankan civil war start?
- What is India doing to resolve Sri Lankas political crisis?
- Why is Sri Lanka’s Muslim community being attacked by Sinhalese chauvinists?
- Why did Sri Lankas President and prime minister resign?
- Who is Sri Lanka’s new Prime Minister Wickremesinghe?
- Why did Sri Lanka’s Wickremesinghe resign?
- Did Sri Lankan protesters break through security cordons to enter Rajapaksas office?
- Will Sri Lankan prime minister Ranil Wickremesinghe resign?
- Who is Sri Lankas Ranil Wickremesinghe?
- Why did Wickremesinghe resign?
- Will Sri Lankas Rajapaksa resign?
- Whats behind Sri Lankas economic crisis?
- Whats happening in Sri Lanka?
- Was Sri Lanka’s current economic trajectory predictable?
- Why did Sri Lanka’s foreign exchange reserves shrink?
Why are people fleeing Sri Lanka for Colombo?
Despite a severe shortage of fuel that has stalled transportation services, demonstrators packed into buses, trains and trucks from several parts of the country to reach Colombo to protest the government’s failure to protect them from economic ruin.
Why did Sri Lankas Parliament Speaker ask the president and pm to resign?
The statement comes after a meeting of party leaders, held by Sri Lankas parliament speaker, agreed to ask both the president and prime minister to resign per an overwhelming request, Sri Lankan MP Rauff Hakeem tweetedon Saturday.
Will Sri Lankas Ranil Wickremesinghe resign?
Sri Lankan prime minister says he is willing to resign Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe has said he is willing to resign and make way for an all-party government to take over, the prime ministers office said Saturday.
What happened to Sri Lankas economy?
Last month, Wickremesinghe said the countrys economy has collapsed. He said that the negotiations with the IMF have been complex because Sri Lanka was now a bankrupt state.
What does the MEA say about Sri Lanka and India?
In response to media queries, the MEA released a letter which stated, India is Sri Lanka’s closest neighbour and our two countries share deep civilizational bonds. We are aware of the many challenges that Sri Lanka and its people have been facing, and we have stood with the Sri Lankan people as they have tried to overcome this difficult period.
Why did the Sri Lankan civil war start?
The Sri Lankan army still commits acts of violence against the Tamil people, but the Tamils can no longer fight back. The war began when Tamil youth, angry at the discrimination and repression against their people, took up arms to fight for an independent Tamil state.
What is India doing to resolve Sri Lankas political crisis?
In view of the current political crisis in Sri Lanka, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Sunday informed that India has extended unprecedented support of over US$ 3 billion for improving the serious economic situation of the island nation.
Why is Sri Lanka’s Muslim community being attacked by Sinhalese chauvinists?
In recent years there have been growing attacks on Sri Lanka’s Muslim community — and, to a lesser extent, the Christian community — by Sinhalese-Buddhist chauvinists, who are able to act with impunity because of support from the government.
Will Sri Lankan prime minister Ranil Wickremesinghe resign?
COLOMBO: Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe on Saturday said that he is willing to resign and make way for an all-party government to take over in the country. The Prime Ministers Media Division said that the Prime Minister will resign after an all-party government is established and the majority is secured in Parliament.
Who is Sri Lankas Ranil Wickremesinghe?
Sri Lankas prime minister Ranil Wickremesinghe announced he will step down amid civil unrest. AP Photo/Eranga Jayawardena Sri Lanka’s prime minister announced his resignation Saturday as thousands of protestors descended on the country’s capital, storming through police barricades and invading the presidential palace.
Why did Wickremesinghe resign?
Mr. Wickremesinghe announced his intention to resign on Twitter, saying he had accepted the recommendation of party leaders. Protesters entered his private home late Saturday and set it ablaze, said Dinouk Colombage, a spokesman for the prime minister, adding that Mr. Wickremesinghe was not at home at the time.
Will Sri Lankas Rajapaksa resign?
The parliamentary speaker earlier said Rajapaksa would resign on Wednesday, after thousands of protesters stormed the presidents official residence. (Reporting by Uditha Jayasinghe; Editing by Christopher Cushing)